DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS
Brief Profile of the Department
Initially the present School of Mathematics was the Post Graduate extension center of the Madras University and was started at Madurai in 1958. The department of Mathematics was formed in 1966 with Prof.M.Venkataraman as the first head of the Department. He was instrumental in shaping the Department’s activities and its growth. Under the leadership, the department bagged many prestigious schemes such as COSIP form UGC (University Grants Commission). Prof.M.H.Stone was an Honorary Professor of this department. Several distinguished Mathematics have served and visited the school. Indeed it was the department Mathematics which introduced the concepts of M.Phil. as a bridge course between Post graduate programme and Research programme. This was later adopted by UGC as a country wide model programme for not Mathematics but also for all other disciplines.
The department continues its contribution both to academic and research activities and became the nodal center for higher education in Mathematics in the southern part of Tamilnadu, India. During 1989 another department with the name Department of Applied Mathematics was created and both departments were made constituent at the School of Mathematics. Later the department of Applied Mathematics was renamed as the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. The school received three phases of DSA (Department of Special Assistance) Programme UGC, COSIST (UGC), FIST (DST) and most recently the prestigious status of CAS (center for Advanced Study) in Mathematics from UGC. The School has carried out many major research projects from UGC, DST, DAE, CSIR, NBHM and is actively engaged in industrial consultancy.