Welcome to School of Biological Sciences

Welcome to School of Biological Sciences

The School of Biological Sciences, Madurai Kamaraj University, had a humble origin in the early 60's as the postgraduate extension centre of the Zoology department of the Madras University at Madurai. The man in command was Prof. S. Krishnaswamy, popularly known as SK. He was a dreamer and a visionary. At a time, perhaps even now, when the teaching of life sciences was compartmentalized into Botany, Zoology, Microbiology etc., he conceived the idea of teaching Biology as an integrated discipline. For him Botany, Zoology etc., was nothing more than different ways of looking at the same thing, namely, the living state.

Read More

Motto

To maintain scientific rigor and temperament through active research and teaching

Mission

To investigate on different areas of Biology including basic understanding on different forms of life, human health and disease, drug development using world class instrumentation facilities and modern scientific technologies. We believe that this would lead to benefits for the society, very good publications and also help to attract projects and funds for sustainment and betterment of research in School of Biological Sciences. We also believe that Smart class rooms, Higher order Laboratory facilities, Research based teaching by Faculties from different areas of Biology will help students to have better learning experience and better future.

Teaching Innovations

M. Sc. Genomics: SBS is offering M. Sc. Genomics Programme since 2002under the auspices of the UGC-Centre of Potential for Excellence in Genomic Sciences. Students
with high academic standards were selected through National Level entrance test conducted by the University followed by group discussion to selected students and the course was offered under Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) according to UGC recommendations.To have national representation, 40% of the seats are reserved for students other than Tamilnadu and the remaining 60% seats are filled following Tamilnadu reservation policy. A maximum of 20 students were admitted to this course every year

Gazette News

Read More

MoU

Research Projects

Facilities

Alumni

Download Brochure

School Map

Green Campus Aerial View

Contacts Us

Prof. M. Hussain Munavar

Chairperson

School of Biological Sciences

Madurai Kamaraj University

Madurai 625 021

Telephone: +91-452-2458210

E.Mail Id: munavar@rediffmail.com