Welcome to School of Mathematics
Initially the present School of Mathematics was the Post graduate extension center of the Madras University started at Madurai in 1958.The Department of Mathematics was formed in 1966 with Prof.M.Venkatraman as the first Head of the Department. He was instrumental in shaping the Department's activities and its growth. Under the leadership, the Department bagged many prestigious schemes such as COSIP form UGC (University Grants Commission). Prof.M.H.Stone was an Honorary Professor of this Department. Several distinguished Mathematicians have served and visited the School. Indeed it was the Department of Mathematics which introduced the concept of M.Phil. as a bridge course between Post graduate programme and Research programme. This was later adopted by UGC as a Country wide model programme for not only Mathematics but also for all other Disciplines. The Department continues its contribution both to academic and research activities and became the nodal center for higher education in Mathematics in the Southern part of Tamil Nadu, India. During 1989 another Department with the name Department of Applied Mathematics was created and both were made constituent Departments of the School of Mathematics. Later the Department of Applied Mathematics was renamed as the Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics. The School received three phases of DSA(Department of Special Assistance) Programme (UGC ), COSIST (UGC), FIST (DST) and most recently the prestigious status of CAS (Center for Advanced Study) in Mathematics UGC.